Sunday, June 10, 2012

It was Really Neat

My Husband and I went on a hot air balloon ride on Friday evening. You would think I would have gobs of beautiful, descriptive words to share with you regarding our time in the air, but the best I can give you is that the whole thing was really neat. I think it is something you just have to experience for yourself (or look at the million and one pictures I am posting today and try to live vicariously through our experience).

 The basket.

 Starting to fill the balloon at a little local carnival.

 Ferris wheel still poking out in the background.

 My Husband kept being chosen to help with the set up. "Hey, you're nice and tall, come hold these ropes..."

 We sailed with another balloon. Ours is on the right.

 My Husband trying to avoid being burned up.

 Standing up.

 Our take off.

 Take off of our companion balloon.

 Flying over the carnival.

 Companion balloon.

 A startled bird, not at all used to looking up at humans from his treetop perch.

 My favorite picture.

 Watching our shadow.

 Firing up our balloon.

 Both balloons.

 The cows we visited were not too happy about the loud, fire-belching ufo flying over their fields. This herd actually stopped mid-stampede to take a quick look before they continued their desperate run to the barns.

 Our companion balloon firing up.

 We landed in a farmer's field. The whole family came racing to meet us on four wheelers. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw there were cameras and not guns in their hands.

 And just like that the balloon is deflated and stuffed in a bag, awaiting its next chance to soar.







We were treated to the most amazing sunset upon our landing. It is hot air balloon tradition to toast with the homeowners where you land (if in fact they come out with cameras instead of guns) after each successful balloon ride. So we gathered with the patriarch of the multi-generation farming family, who came out in his slippers, and told us stories about growing up and farming the land. It was such a sweet way to end our day. Pretty neat- Friday, June 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment