Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tax Day

Today is tax day. It would normally have been two days ago, but we can't have tax day on a Sunday or (as I learned just a few minutes ago from the Google) on Emancipation Day, which is held every year on April 16th. It is a holiday observed only in Washington, D.C. to celebrate the day Abe Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. Tax day is a big deal around here, not because we enjoy waiting until the last minute to file our taxes just so we can go to the post office at 11:55pm, but because it is the day we get Daddy back. You see for three months of the year we graciously lend him to his employers. We've waited our two extra days this year and now are eagerly waiting for Daddy to get home so we can officially mark the end of Tax Season. I've even got a meat loaf in the oven- now that is a food made for celebrating if I've ever seen one.

The doorbell rang today right after we had gotten home. (Side note about another reason today is an exciting day- We were actually out at a final round of testing for The Oldest's homes chool group this morning. He had committed to the challenge of memorizing gobs and gobs of information across seven different subjects in order to be deemed a Memory Master. To accomplish this feat he had to recite everything without one mistake. To give you an idea of how much he memorized, it took him over an hour to recite it all. He finished his final round of proofing today with flying colors.) Back to the doorbell. I hate when the doorbell rings lately. We have had lots of politicians visiting our house and I don't enjoy talking with them. I couldn't pretend we didn't hear the doorbell because we have all the doors and windows open today. So, I went to the door to find, not a politician, but a delivery man with an amazing arrangement of flowers. I quickly went to my mental calendar to see what important event I was missing. Our anniversary, no. My birthday, not yet. Then it hit me- tax day. My Husband, who has been the one to quietly get up at 4:00 every morning, get dressed in the dark, work non-stop until he comes home for a late dinner, listen patiently to the girls chatter about their day, talk with The Oldest about whatever he has found interesting or exciting, help with baths, sing bed time songs, and fall in to bed to do it all over again the next day, sent me flowers. Flowers with a note thanking me for supporting him through tax season number ten. I started to feel a little bit bad that I didn't get him anything and that all I have in the oven right now is a meatloaf, but then I just stopped and decided to be thankful for a gift from My amazing Husband who somehow just worked close to like a million overtime hours in three months, all while continuing to be an attentive Daddy and supportive best friend. {Love you, babe.}

My beautiful flowers. Boy, they smell really amazing, too- Tuesday, April 17.


Little One has mastered pumping herself on the swings. (Notice her crossed legs. I think that is so cute.) She informed me that she learned this from The Oldest while I was busy. Thank goodness for older brothers- Tuesday, April 17.



 Yesterday's sunset with some birds- Monday, April 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment