Saturday, May 26, 2012

Early Risers

I've never been much of a night owl, but I'm not sure I could say I am a natural morning person either. I don't fit the stereotype I have assigned to either of those categories. I have neither magical doses of nocturnal energy that give me super-human ability to complete projects and tasks while most of the time zone is sleeping, nor do I have caffeine-like energy that is already coursing through my veins propelling me out of bed and straight past the coffee maker all with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.  Before kids, I did sometimes stay up late. I pulled a few all-nighters in college, but I could usually fall into my bed after stumbling to class to take a test or hand in the paper I had just finished. At that point in life, I had no other human beings I needed to care for and only myself to think about, so it worked for me. I also experienced nights of very little sleep being a mom to three wonderful little babes. With the first one, I was convinced I was not going to survive. I was so tired and he cried so much. One evening, not long after The Oldest was born, I had gone upstairs to get a little sleep in between feedings. My Husband came upstairs and woke me up. I rolled over and said out of the corner of my drool covered mouth, "If I can just sleep until 8:00, I'll be okay."  He gently patted me on the back, trying to stall in his delivery of the news he knew would send me over the edge. When he finally got up the nerve to tell me it was already 8:00, I started crying and dug myself under the covers. I was truly convinced I wasn't going to make it. But I did, and survived two more rounds of baby induced sleep-deprivation. It is amazing what love can strengthen you to do.

But now, for the most part, I get to sleep through the night. And with the blessing of full nights of sleep, I am beginning to realize that I do in fact like getting up in the mornings. I actually set my alarm on purpose most days with the goal of being the first one out of bed. There are several mornings one or another (more often one over the others) of my children stands in for the music of my alarm clock. I'm blessed with one morning person, for sure. I have had to triple layer the window coverings in her room in order to keep her asleep for any amount of time past the first inkling of sunrise. She would have been a great farmer's daughter, but instead of collecting eggs and milking cows she fills the table with early morning drawings or she pages through books or plays on her new DS. The Oldest wakes up early, too, but usually dives right into whatever world is waiting in the pages of his current book before venturing out of his room. Little One is too little to really be able to tell, but she is starting to sleep through the early risings of her sister, so I am holding out that she will decide sleeping in is the way to go.

There are some mornings when I manage to sneak downstairs while the house is still filled with silence. I must say, I think this is the most amazing way to start the day. By nature I am a person who gets recharged by alone time. I'm not exaggerating to say that I don't think I would run out of fingers counting the number of times I have been totally alone in my own house. It just isn't something that is a common occurrence during this season of life. But on mornings when I find I have beaten even the early riser out of bed, I take great pleasure in enjoying the slice of quiet to just be- to be alone, to be reflective, to be quiet, to be calm, to be...

I used to dread the sound of the first pair of footsteps coming down the stairs, anxiously listening, anticipating the too soon shattering of my sacred space. But somehow over the years, I've learned to be still and enjoy the moments I do have, how ever many (or few) they may be. And over the years, my kids have somehow learned how to soften their arrival and to settle down into the space of early morning quiet.

I was up especially early today, awakened by one of my children, but kept awake anticipating the arrival of another. Our nephew is on his way into the world as I type. I had hoped we'd have a text letting us know he had taken his first look at the world while we were all sleeping, but that wasn't the case. So, after starting some laundry, I settled down into the chair by the window. I was reading and praying and thinking about being blessed with the gift of new life, when one of my own gifts came groggily down the stairs. With blanket already in hand, she settled down onto the couch. She asked about her new baby cousin and then rolled over to enjoy the peace and quiet.  I'm thankful for early mornings all to myself, they truly are a precious gift to me, but I have also learned to be thankful for early risers who join me in the start of my days.

"This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says:
'In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength'"
Isaiah 30:15

Joyous thoughts and abundant prayers to my brother-in-law and his wife as they begin their journey with their own early riser. I pray you find strength in quiet moments, joy in all that goes right and in all that doesn't go quiet as you had planned, and abundant reasons for thanksgiving.


Sharing my sacred space- Friday, May 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment