Thursday, March 22, 2012

Grackles

Last year I really, really disliked the blackbirds living in our yard. I hated seeing them gather things for their nests. I took to shooing them away from the bird feeder. They are loud and big and for some reason seem to find the four trees in our yard a great nesting ground. But this year, I haven't felt the same angst watching them that I did last year. Maybe it is the growth of my overall appreciation of birds that has lessened my dislike. Maybe it is because I have investigated and found out the specific black birds living in our yard are called Common Grackles (what a great name). Or it could be that the squirrels have taken their place as public enemy number one in our back yard. Whatever the reason, I can look at a black bird this year without cringing. I've even started to think they are sort of pretty when the sun shines on them, at least the ones who share our outdoor living space. The Grackles are not all black, but have pretty iridescent colors on their heads and wings. They also are longer and more slender than the ugly old crows I had viewed them as before. Overall, a very pretty bird. I'm so at peace with the Grackles (and I really like saying their name) that I'm even going to post a picture of one here today.

Common Grackle in the front tree- Thursday, March 22.


(Common dogpile on the trampoline- Thursday, March 22.)

No comments:

Post a Comment