Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Living It Up on Leap Day

It was rainy and dreary most of the day today and I spent a whole lot of it playing taxi driver. Sometimes I wish I really was a taxi driver because then I could have one of those windows that divides the driver's seat from the back seats. Then I would not have to listen to three children fighting over why it matters who gets into the car first and the lawyer-like arguments for what CD should be playing instead of the one that is currently not being listened to because of all the fighting. The other advantage of being a real taxi driver would be the little meter running on the dash board. Imagine it- pulling up to the YMCA, "Okay The Oldest. Your stop for home school gym. That will be $18.50" Driving on. Stopping in front of preschool, "Have a great day, Little One. You owe me $11.75." Okay, back to the real world, the wet, dreary real world. Our last stop before I could put the Off Duty light on the top of the van was at the library. We had a video to return and upon entering the children's wing, realized today was the very last day of the February half-price movie rental deal. For some reason there is a section of DVDs that you have to pay $2/video to rent for a week. All the other kids' DVDs are free and you get the full two weeks, plus multiple renewals. Well, one week ago today, we happened to see a sign that was covered in hearts and read something like, "February Special: Pink Dot Movies Only $1 for One Week" We had never before paid money to rent a DVD at the library. Something about forking over cash to borrow an item in a place full of free things never sat right with me. But when I saw I could save 50%, there was no holding us back and we took home our first pink dot movie. And again today, thanks to Leap Day, we left the library with a one dollar deal. Hopefully it won't be raining next Wednesday when I have to return it!

The kids are currently downstairs watching their movie. My Husband is at a work meeting somewhere and before I sat down to post this I was eating ice cream and looking at the Where's Waldo book First Grader got at the library. I like sprinkles on my ice cream, but we are out of sprinkles, so I had to use Christmas Nonpareils. But I figured, it's Leap Day, why not live it up!?- Wednesday, February 29.


Speaking of living it up on Leap Day, my Grandma is busy celebrating the 21st birthday of one of her close friends today.
Here is the birthday girl almost four years ago (the delightful lady on the left), visiting us when Little One was just a baby. Her name is Miss Betty and, as you can see from the huge smile on Little One's face, she is a joy to be around. She's the kind of person you look at and think, it won't be so bad getting old if I can be half as fun and full of life as she is. Miss Betty gave herself a trip to Disney World for Christmas and, from what my Grandma says, has been busy planning a rockin' 21st birthday party. I guess when you've waited 84 years to turn 21, you deserve a pretty big celebration- Picture taken Tuesday, June 17, 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment