Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Rose By Any Other Name

I'm deep into the Jane Austen audio book I started yesterday in the car. The woman reading it has a wonderfully soothing manner of speaking. She very subtly voices all the characters in different ways and pauses at all the right places. It is great! I very much enjoy listening to, reading, and watching pieces that are set in England a couple hundred years back. When I do, I often find that my internal thoughts begin to sound like my favorite characters. I can hear myself thinking with an English accent. Every now and then, it will slip out when I am talking to myself about getting more shampoo or wondering aloud what to make for dinner. "Alas, what shall we partake of at this evening's supper?" 

So, when I started working on some pictures of roses that I had taken, my thoughts, already speaking with an English accent, began calling up a familiar speech from Romeo and Juliet. Except right when I was getting to the good part, the idyllic scene was shattered by the loud, south-of-the-border sounding voice of Featherstone, the pink flamingo lawn ornament in Gnomeo & Juliet. "A weed by any other name is still a weed!"  Now, that is a clever movie!   "Oh, Gnomeo, Gnomeo, are we really doomed to never see each other again? Why must you wear a blue hat? Why couldn't it be red like my father, or green like... like a leprechaun..." 

At any rate, whether you are now imagining in Old English, chuckling at the thought of lawn ornaments misquoting Shakespeare, or simply speed reading to get through this unsolicited look into the workings of my brain, please pause long enough to stop and enjoy the roses, they really are very sweet.


Rose. Decreasing Saturation- Tuesday, February 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment