Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hands

I was lying in bed early the other morning thinking when I should have been sleeping. I found myself in such a state because I had woken up when Husband got up to go to work and before I could fall back to sleep, a thought entered my mind. I am no expert on what our brain does while we sleep, but I am pretty sure mine takes a deep sigh of relief, thankful to have a few hours of rest before it is again forced to think about multiple things at once all day long, and enters into a short period of hibernation. Most nights this works out great for both me and my brain and we enjoy a peaceful and uninterrupted eight hours or so. But there are certain nights, like the one mentioned above, when a rogue thought somehow manages to awaken my hibernating brain before my body is ready to respond to it's workings. All it takes is one little thought that has something to do with life outside of sleeping and my brain springs into action, rustling awake all the ideas, memories, and ponderings that had been so nicely put to sleep a few hours before.

On the early morning mentioned above, mixed together with to-do lists, partially processed thoughts, and the occasional funny memory, I found myself identifying people I have known in my life by their hands. For some reason, I have always remembered people's hands. I can go through a number of my high school classmates and college friends and still clearly see their hands.  I can do the same thing with people I currently know. The strange thing is it only works with certain people. If I purpose to think of someone, I will either be able to clearly see their hands in my mind or I picture them without hands at all, like they are wearing long sleeve shirts that sort of cover where their hands would be.

I was reminded of these early morning thoughts today when I took this picture.

Little One and her friend were leaning on the footrest watching Dora. I started to take a picture that centered on their faces, but got distracted by their hands- Wednesday, February 1.


 So then it was hands- Wednesday, February 1.


And more hands- Wednesday, February 1.


And my hand. 
I've started thinking about the people I can and can't identify by their hands alone, and I realized that I fall into the category of someone with hidden hands. I think that is pretty strange since I look at my own hands every day. So I thought I'd take a picture and see if it helps to free me from the hand-less, long sleeve wearing mob that lives in my mind- Wednesday, February 1. 

No comments:

Post a Comment