Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Trees and Birds

Earlier this week I was shopping for a new 4x6 frame to replace one that had seen better days. I was looking for simple dark wood, which I found, but I also found a really cool cut-metal frame depicting a scene with a bird sitting in a tree. Not convinced I would like it on the bookshelf with my other dark wood frames, I brought both home. I am sure glad I did. I didn't end up liking the metal frame on the bookshelf, but I do like it on top of the desk sitting next to the cool stone bird I bought a couple of months ago. At different points in the same shopping trip I also had in my hands both a framed picture of bare trees and another one of silhouetted birds on a clothes line. I put both of them back on the shelf, even though I had a really good coupon and they were on sale.

As I pondered my purchases, both actual and potential, I started to realize something, something I hadn't seen before. I really like trees and birds. My living room walls currently hold two different pictures that have trees in them. One of my favorite things to photograph is trees, specifically bare branches against the sky. There are certain bare trees that I really like, but I'll save that for another day. And birds. Well, you already know about my budding passion for bird watching. But I hadn't stopped to realize until now that I am also drawn to birds in art and decorating. **Important Side Note: I am not sharing this information as a sneaky hint that I want to start collecting bird and tree knick knacks. I've seen it before, someone says they like something and before they know it they are suddenly surrounded by figurines, throw blankets, you name it covered with the thing they thought they liked. My college roommate and the squirrels is a perfect example. She happened to find the squirrels on campus very amusing. She must have made mention of this to more than a few people and before we knew it we were sharing our tiny dorm room with stuffed squirrels, resin squirrels, squirrel magnets, I  think I remember squirrel socks. On the whole, I'm not real big on knick knacks and maintain a less-is-more kind of approach when it comes to stuff. I haven't always been this way, but being married to My Husband, who gets a literal high from throwing things away, has helped to solidify this characteristic in me.**  The reason I am sharing all of this today (yes there is a reason buried somewhere in here) is because of the card My Husband gave me this morning for Valentine's Day. The first line read, "I saw this card & knew it was for you because there were trees and birds on it." Trees and birds, he nailed it. How did I not see this before?

Now onto a picture. Yes, the picture for today has both a tree and a bird in it, though you have to look really closely to see the bird. I thought it an appropriate image for today since it tied in nicely with both my tree & bird babbling and the theme for the holiday, love.


This is a photograph (with annoying watermark) of a collage I made at the end of last year. It is called The Good Soil and is based on Scripture found in the books of Matthew and Ephesians- Tuesday, February 14.

"Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.” -Matthew 13:8, 23 (NIV)

"that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height— to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God" -Ephesians 3:17-19 (NKJV)

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment