Monday, February 13, 2012

Meat

After dropping Little One off at preschool this morning, I drove by the same sign I pass every morning I drop her off at preschool. I think it a funny sign, and take notice of it most mornings, but today, the sun was shining through the trees behind it and I grumbled at myself for not having my camera with me. I could see a great picture in the making, but no way to make it. By the time I arrived at home I had forgotten the sign and the picture that didn't happen. But then The Oldest and I settled down to work on Reading and suddenly the sign was flashing in my mind again. We read a story called Ingersoll by Gail Fitzgerald. Ingersoll is a pig who comes to live with the Otis family. The story is told with witty sarcasm from the point of view of the younger son, Harold. The family is made up of animal lovers, except for Harold who says, "The only way I like animals is on the table- fried chicken, barbecued pork chops, and hamburgers." I can relate to Harold. I have never been an animal lover and I do enjoy a good piece of fried chicken. Which takes me back to the sign.

I decided the convergence of the regretful sign sighting and the story focused on meat was no coincidence, so I purposed to leave a few minutes early, with my camera, to pick up Little One. When I arrived at the end of the alley to take my pictures, the bright sun that had been shining so perfectly through the trees a few hours before had not waited there for my return. (I guess the sun really does not revolve around me. How disappointing!) I eyed up the scene without the sun and decided to shift the focus from the trees to include the buildings in the background- Monday, February 13.

The sign is for a little store that sells locally raised, grass-fed meat. The store is in the brick building to the left, which used to be the carriage house for the big building in the background, hence the name of the store- Carriage House Market. The big building is The Sheppard Mansion, a fancy place to stay over and eat the locally grown meat advertised on the sign. With meat on the brain and no reservations for dinner, I find myself day dreaming of KFC and some bacon. Do you think a high of 38 degrees is too cold to grill pork chops?

P.S.
I was wearing this shirt yesterday afternoon. Another coincidence? I think not- Monday, February 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment